Sandy Hook

Sandy Hook

Friday, December 12, 2014

Weeping While Congress Sleeps


Fifteen years ago in Denver, I was working on a research project for a reporter when a city editor came running in and yelled, "Stop what you're doing." Without another word she abruptly turned on her heels and stormed out the door, visibly shaken. When she returned a couple of minutes later, tears were falling as she reported the kind of news I never expected to hear in my lifetime.

After she gave me my grim assignment, and as we worked to pull all the harrowing stories and photographs together over the weeks and months that followed, I prayed none of us would ever have to deal with this kind of news story again.

To this day I cannot see a photograph depicting anything remotely related to  the Columbine shooting without losing my composure. I literally cannot hear or even see the word "Columbine" without breaking into tears.

Not only did my hopes and dreams that nothing as horrific as Columbine would ever repeat itself, my dreams literally turned into nightmares that would play over and over again. Two years ago, we lost 20 innocent little angels and six adults, including four dedicated school teachers.

Today, I still weep every time I look at photographs of these innocent little faces and the brave ones who died trying to save them.


Today, I'm still weeping while Congress sleeps.

Further Reading: Deadly School Shootings Since Columbine

8 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Leslie, your words make me weep. Congress is out of touch with reality. Its members are focused on being elected and re-elected, not public service. That means catering to those who have big money to pay those massive campaign costs, so they're best friends with gun manufacturers and the NRA and the deaths of children are acceptable collateral damage in their twisted, amoral souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If congress sleeps and does not do anything, the only person left to blame is the president. That's been the republican strategy for the last 6 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how horrific it was when Columbine happened. I like you thought nothing like this could ever happen again. Yet, still we see it happening over and over. Sometimes not on a scale the size of Columbine, but shootings at schools over and over. Then Sandy Hook. Just heart wrenching, and we have learned nothing. Yes, Congress sleeps, but then so to do the American People. We allow these things to happen over and over and scream when it does, then keep sending the same jerks to Congress so nothing will ever change.

    One day, it is my hope and dream, the people will wake up, but what will it take? Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, none of these were enough. What Will It Take??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you active, Leslie. Best wishes in your pursuit of this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much to all of you. I am heartbroken that the killing fields just get larger and larger in our own country while Congress plays tiddly winks.

    But Magpie, I weep for Australia's pain. My heart goes out to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Michael Moore, I believe the gun control debate would be over if the parents of the children killed at Sandy Hook would allow publication of the crime scene photos. If Americans saw the carnage an assault rifle does at close range to the bodies of elementary school children, we'd have no more NRA bullshit to debate in this country. We have to have the courage to show the world what it is we're willing to accept as the "cost of freedom". And we should never be willing to accept that price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've forgotten which one it was, but one of the families allowed photos of an open casket or something similar. There was a huge uproar. People got angry at THEM instead of at the shooter. Essentially, I might agree with you but I know damn well I wouldn't be able to post them, much less look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've forgotten which one it was, but one of the families allowed photos of an open casket or something similar. There was a huge uproar. People got angry at THEM instead of at the shooter. Essentially, I might agree with you but I know damn well I wouldn't be able to post them, much less look at them.

    ReplyDelete