Sandy Hook

Sandy Hook

Monday, June 14, 2010

Art Gallery: Bev Doolittle

Bev Doolittle was born and raised in Southern California. In 1968, she graduated from the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles.

Her scenes of the American West feature themes of Native American life, wild animals, horses, and landscapes. Doolittle takes the medium of watercolor to a height I've never seen before. In fact, I can honestly say that I've never been particularly attracted to watercolors because they just seem so anemic compared to oils and acrylics. Doolittle's watercolors are anything but.
"Many people call me a 'camouflage artist,' but that doesn't really fit. If I have to categorize at all, I prefer to think of myself as a 'concept painter.' I am an artist who uses camouflage to get my story across, to slow the viewing process so you can discover it for yourself. Everything I do is intended to enhance the idea of each piece. For me, camouflage is a means to an end, not an end in itself. My meaning and message are never hidden."
You really have to examine Doolittle's paintings very closely to appreciate the camouflage. Right click on them to enlarge.














17 comments:

  1. absolutely amazing! I am in awe of artists and the talent they possess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they fabulous. I hope you saw the faces in the rocks and the camouflaged people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. The Hobbit was unfamiliar with the messenger. "Camouflaged people," what better subjects for an artist of the American West.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those images are beyond clever in concept. The technique is mind blowing. On the PC screen, at least, they do look more like oils or caseins, so Doolittle is evidently using an application technique more like those media than the typical washes and sweeps of watercolorists.

    The level of detail is up there with Norman Rockwell. Very impressive. Thanks for showcasing her work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Leslie: I am more of a lover of art than a critic I reckon, so I dont have any category for it .... but they look absolutely outstanding .... beautiful collection!

    Have a good un .....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a site that provides a little more detail about how she goes about it. It's hard to tell on the computer screen but many paintings have a matte-like finish.

    http://www.bnr-art.com/doolitt/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanx for the link Ms.Leslie .... interesting reading Ms.Bev' formula of design too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie, I've never seen her work before and am in awe. What vision! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What magnificent pictures. I have two that are similar to these. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great post and thank you for bringing the artist to my attention. You miss a lot of good stuff down here in South Carolina, velvet Elvis and poker playing dogs only go so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike: Lucky you. I'd love to have one.

    Tim: Her work is breathtaking imo.

    BB: Don't forget the Jesus whose eyes follow you around the room! I came across Bev when I was living in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't recognize the name, but I recognized the paintings immediately - beautiful!!

    My dream is to one day run across one in the Goodwill. I know, that only happens to people on the Antiques Roadshow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. But you'd be surprised at what you can come across at garage sales. And I certainly wouldn't mind finding one of these.

    ReplyDelete