Sandy Hook

Sandy Hook

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Those embarrassing typos

Typos can be jarring, but I can be just as chagrined as the next person when I don't catch them before they end up on my blog. My excuses vary from having flying fingers to being in too big a hurry. Never submitting to a typing lesson. And, unlike the big guns, there aren't any copy editors around the corner or at the neighborhood bar. But that's okay. They'd probably just muck it up anyway. I mean, have you been reading THP lately? Oh. My. God.

Fortunately, parsleyspics isn't significant enough to attract the attention of a New York Times blogger who has nothing more on his petty plate than to point out the typos on the menu for the President's first state dinner. There was even a discussion about it on NPR. So what if there were four and maybe one more? I researched the words chick peas and chickpeas. Both are used. All mildly embarrassing but not the end of the world.

I'm more interested in who was in the receiving line and who was being received. Did anyone fall down or split their seams? Did any one's false teeth fall out? What did the First Lady wear and who designed it? Who was the guest of honor? Anyone seen groping another's spouse? Who were the party crashers and how did they crash? I mean, come on. Let's get our priorities in order.

This is more like it:


2 comments:

  1. Typos can be fun, though. I remember once reading a zine article (remember zines?) about the drug problem which spelled the word "heroin" as "heroine" four times in one paragraph. I wrote to the author and told him I'd been a "heroine addict" ever since I first saw Sigourney Weaver in Alien.

    The guest of honor at this event was well chosen. I've always hoped the mesmerized international-affairs pundits endlessly chanting "China, China, China" would pause long enough to at least notice the world's largest democracy.

    Of the two, I'd bet on a free society over a fascist dictatorship to be best able to master the complex technology of the future and become a real world leader.

    ReplyDelete